Newbie question re generating demo data

Hi, I’m trying to generate demo data to try out some plugins and IE8 won’t run the script on the api page, fails with ‘site not responding’ message.

Firefox 3.5 gets a little further then fails with this message ‘Fatal error: Allowed memory size of 33554432 bytes exhausted (tried to allocate 35 bytes) in /home/compiley/public_html/piwik/core/Common.php on line 665’. I guess this is to do with the 35Mb memory limit my hosting company impose on me.

Next I edited the php script to reduce the volume of data generated and got ‘Time elapsed: 11.406sSQLSTATE[HY000]: General error: 2006 MySQL server has gone away’.

I assume the data is being generated in memory and gets written to the database at the end of the job - can some SKS advise how I can go forward please.

TIA

John Dobson

Run misc/generateVisits.php from the command-line. The demo data is loaded into idsite 1. Keep that in mind before you go live.

On my part, after generating the demo data on my first install, the widgets were still showing no stats at all. But all data where still in the DB.

I finally got shell access provisioned by my hosting company and executed the script using the PHP / CLI interface. Can someone please assist with the following error message:

]# ./generateVisits.php

Fatal error: Uncaught exception ‘Zend_Session_Exception’ with message ‘Session must be started before any output has been sent to the browser; output started in /0’ in /home/compiley/public_html/piwik/libs/Zend/Session.php:359
Stack trace:
#0 /home/compiley/public_html/piwik/index.php(50): Zend_Session::start()
#1 /home/compiley/public_html/piwik/misc/generateVisits.php(42): require_once(’/home/compiley/…’)
#2 {main} thrown in /home/compiley/public_html/piwik/libs/Zend/Session.php on line 359

[~/www/piwik/misc]#

I had to add a line to the top of the file to execute and suspect that my be at the heart of the problem. The added line is:

#!/usr/bin/php -q

John Dobson