New User: Pointing Piwik to Different Directory for each site's Apache logs?

Looking into Piwik to solve some tracking needs I have with my clients. Haven’t installed yet, because I have a technical question I couldn’t find in the docs.

I do webhosting for my client’s sites. I have 100+ sites on there now. My Apache logs are stored in sub-directories in each website’s directory. Is it possible to tell Piwik to look into different directories site by site to locate the logs for processing each night?

(Matthieu Aubry) #2

Yes since you tell Piwik the name/path of the logfile. You would need a script that would call the import_logs.py correctly.
See Log Analytics - Analytics Platform - Matomo

I have installed Piwik and my first site, but I don’t see anywhere to specify the location of the log files.

(Thomas Seifert) #4

See the link matt provided. You have to use the import_logs.py script to import webserver logs into piwik. Its not built into the gui.

Tried to work through it last night. Couldn’t make it work. Bummer. I am not a SysAdmin primarily. I can usually get around, but have no clue what to do when things don’t work as instructed. May have to hire someone.

(Matthieu Aubry) #6

Maybe you would better use the standard way of tracking data with Piwik which is the Javascript tracking code (instead of using log files); http://piwik.org/docs/javascript-tracking/