New install - hanging

Hi There,
Just discovered and installed piwik and love what your doing with it. Keep up the good work.
It is working fine on my local server (ubuntu php 5.2.4).

I successfully installed it on a remote server (Apache 2.0; PHP 5.1.6) and accessed the dashboard from the install dialogue but having difficulty since then.

In Firefox 3 and Opera the UI is loading but no data arriving.

An issue with server configuration seems likely but would appreciate any pointers - i.e. settings aside from pdo and GD?

Thanks

I had some problems with PHP Safe mode and PHP Globals as well as some other problems with Shared Sessions.
I used “off” for the first two and .htaccess solution for the last one.
It’s working well on my Apache 2+ / PHP 5.2+ / MySQL 5+ shared hosting environment.
I assume it’s not really a split-second real-time system, it seams a bit lazy but if it’s given the time it needs, it works like a charm.

GEO/CEO

Thanks for the reply George

Safe mode is off, haven’t had to deal with globals previously but ‘register_globals’ is off and ‘auto_globals_jit’ is on at the moment.

Think I read a post about sessions earlier and checked that out - all seems ok its writing to /tmp which is set to 1777.

Update: I have been able to access the UI from Opera and data is loading but it is displaying as yesterday and showing yesterday’s data.

Yes, that caught me out at first. You need to change the reference date at the top of the page. Just click on the date and/or the “day”… to change the reporting period.

Cheers Leapy - missed that calendar.

Not sure why it would be loading “…CoreHome&action=index&idSite=1&period=day&date=yesterday” by default. Logged in on another browser and same thing.

Unhappily it hangs on “loading data” when I select the current day…

…glitch somewhere - gonna find it :slight_smile:

This “until you click me you will never know that I am a link” on some …links is driving me crazy and my calendar is a little messed up with months but it’s still a very cool ajax non-template style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/blink.gif

Have you tried Google’s Chrome? This ugly toddler is like ten times faster style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/ohmy.gif
(notice the little square garbage below “add a widget”, that’s a difference!)

Opera is also cool but the major trend is Firefox
I hope I’ll never see IE again but… that’s an early summer dream

indeed the calendar is not clear at all. we are thinking of adding a calendar icon. do you have any idea of how this part of the UI could be made better? (screenshots / mockups are welcome)

I am not sure it actually needs that much. At least the “Day” turns into “Day+” on rollover. It would help if there was a CSS rollover on the Day/Date display. Perhaps a little square calendar icon alongside would help?

I really like the way that there is not too much noise on the page and would hate to suggest adding any. Piwik has the potential to be a UI classic in a short time.

The dates selection could be two (2) calendar icons (from-to) and pre-defined periods (day/week/month/year) could be visible as a drop down menu at the side or maybe inside the calendar as buttons.
There is more than enough room right now.

The calendar should “hover” over the page when clicked and not pushing down when clicked. (minor importance)

Very clever to highlight days with available data but after a month of stats it won’t be needed very much.

Off-topic maybe? style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/blink.gif