MySql Workbench connection

Hello,

I’ve been running for about 2 weeks with PIWIK and am absolutely loving it. I have my installation on a RHEL that I remotely interact with through PUTTY or TIGHTVNC.

However, I want to be able to interact with the database from my workstation (IE7). I have downloaded MySql WorkBench and am attempting to connect using the PIWIK creds I setup in the install.

Has anyone else done this? If so did you have any difficulty?

Andy

This shouldn’t have anything to do with piwik, but with the fact that by default MySQL only binds to localhost. You can change that (e.g. How to allow remote connection to mysql - Stack Overflow) but I wouldn’t recommend it as it means that everyone one the internet has the chance to try to guess your MySQL password.

Instead I would try out ssh tunnels. With them you can connect to MySQL on your server as if the connection would come from the server itself. I don’t know how to set them up on windows, but I found this: How to create SSH tunnel using PuTTY in Windows? - Stack Overflow

Winh command line SSH you would do it like this: ssh -fN -L local_port:localhost:port_on_server username@host