MySQL connection problem

HI
I am unable to install Piwik at the moment. I receive the following error message " SQLSTATE[HY000] [2000] mysqlnd cannot connect to MySQL 4.1+ using the old insecure authentication. "

I had just uninstalled my previous version in order to upgrade (it told me that it was up to date, but I saw much more recent versions out there, perhaps I was at the latest for my configuration) and deleted the database as I didn’t have data I needed.

I spoke to iXWebhosting who tell me that the MySQL version cannot be upgraded on shared hosting and there is no way forward for me.

Q My question therefore is what previous version of Piwik do I need to avoid the newer authentication and mysqlnd. can work with this until I get a better hosting, or IX Webhosting update their software

please ask your web host to upgrade Mysql or change web host if they really do not want to (this verison is really years old )

Thanks Matt

I found that I can connect to the _db if I switch to a PHP version before 5.3 (5.2.17 with this host) then the tighter authentication is not used. However, that means using a Piwik version before 2.0, so I’m using Piwik v. 1.12

I look forward to finding how far you’ve progressed since then but it will have to wait until another day.

I’m going to write a grumble to IX Webhosting to let them know that they’re being left behind.

correct, this is a bug in the Mysql server or client. Please consider upgrade or change host if you can, as it is not recommended to run such old software :slight_smile: cheers

I am informed that the mysql is at v. 5.0.67.
I am making them aware of the problem. The odd thing is that Wordpress installations don’t have the same connection problem and I can change the php version to 5.3 or 5.4 and still connect.