Migration info from 1.12 to v.2.1

Hello,

My company put me in charge of migrating our Piwik install from version 1.12 to the latest version 2.1. We are using it for a lot of websites and the database is pretty heavy (50Gb). Does some of you have some idea how long it can take to update it? I know it will depends about the server where the database is hosted but if you have some raw estimation, it will help me.

I also have another concert related to the tracking code. Is the tracking code from 1.12 will still work after migrating to 2.1?

Thank you in advance for your help.

There, a user said it took 30 minutes for 4 GB database:

http://forum.piwik.org/read.php?2,113111,page=1#msg-113290

I don’t know if you can extrapolate such information (6.25 hours for 50 GB)…

Dali

I missed this post when I search for this information. Thank you, it’s already a good start to plan my outage timeframe.

FYI, I just did the big upgrade from 1.12 to 2.2b18. It was a manual update.

It took my servers 11 minutes to convert a 6.5 GB database with

/piwik/console core:update

(Tassoman) #5

Did you run your update by su www-data user? Or did you used a manager account? For example root?

Other question: after our update of 7GB DB (abt 27 mins.), the new 2.1.0 interface now can’t display numbers in “Frequency Overview” widget, only zero.
This happens only with data before 2014-02-23 while the database table piwik_archive_numeric_2014_02 still have all the data in it.

I cheated and used “root” user. :wink:

As for the widget with zeros, the old trick usually works: Remove widget, then insert widget.

Did it worked ?

Thank you for these additional feedback. We are still planning but as soon as it’s done, I will come back to you with the details of the update (final database size, time to perform the update, etc.).

(Tassoman) #8

Hello @dali the “trick” removing widget didn’t worked for me, sadly, numbers after 23th feb 14 appears in the widget as expected

(Tassoman) #9

Well, I’ve better investigate and looks like I’m missing some data from piwik_archive_numeric_2014_02 table:

Could happened core:update went wrong?

If you don’t delete your data you can have a look here:

How do I force the reports to be re-processed from the logs?
http://piwik.org/faq/how-to/faq_59/

And delete piwik_archive_numeric_2014_02 and piwik_archive_blob_2014_02 ?

I’m not responsible for your manipulations ! :wink:

Dali

(Tassoman) #11

Well, @dali thanks you very much for helping! Don’t worry we have nightly backups of database. :)o

The problem is our log is just 45 days old (I bet was 2014-02-23 in 2014-04-11, update’s day) because we have more than a hundred of profiles with a lot of traffic.

So I suppose previous data is lost by update? I wondered that piwik_archive_numeric/blob_* tables were still untouched after doing upgrade from 1.x to 2.x. Our archive.php crontab (now console core:archive command) is run every 4 hours in a day… So logs could be deleted.

Hello,

Just a quick feedback regarding this update. The update process to the version 2.2.0 has been successful. I used the console to update the database and it was quite fast as it required only 4 hours to upgrade the 54GB of data.

Thank you all for your help.