Matomo UI stopped working - error on console


(dnaber) #1

My Matomo has stopped working - after logging in, I see a mostly broken UI without any sites listed. The browser console shows:

SyntaxError: "" literal not terminated before end of script index.php:14:51150
ReferenceError: angular is not defined[Learn More] index.php:11:13
ReferenceError: $ is not defined[Learn More] index.php:75:9 

A closer analysis shows that the file index.php?module=Proxy&action=getCoreJs&cb=c30b0ef283fd2b68624c0a974ef9e083 is incomplete, it is just cut off in the middle of the JS code. My Matomo version is 3.5.1. I don’t know what has changed. Unfortunately, my Matomo is hosted by a provider who doesn’t reply anymore to my support requests, so I can’t log in to the system etc. Any ideas?


(Lukas Winkler) #2

Hi,

This is the file where Matomo aggregates all Javascript from all plugins.

While I have no explaination on what went wrong, you can delete everything in the /tmp folder and Matomo will regenerate it.


(dnaber) #3

Thanks, I don’t have any file system access, though. I couldn’t find an API call to clear the caches, either.


(Lukas Winkler) #4

Hi,

Unfortunately there is no API for clearing caches.

You probably know this already, but I’d recommend you to get away from your hosting provider as fast as possible.

Only thing I can think of that should work if you can at least get to the plugin management page is disabling and enabling a plugin. This should make Matomo regenerate the JS and CSS.


(Lukas Winkler) #5

Okay,

I have now checked closer and no matter if you request the file with gzip, deflate or without compression the server always stops before the transferred file size reaches the amount specified in Content-Length:.

I have also checked the code that removes the assets again and couldn’t find another idea on how to remove them remotely apart from enabling/disabling a plugin. (which is also not possible via the API) and updating Matomo (which I wouldn’t recommend when you don’t have access if something goes wrong and if it isn’t sure if the server hasn’t maybe ran out of disk space).

My recommendation would be (if you can’t enable/disable a plugin) to wait (tracking requests should be recorded properly nevertheless), try to reach the host to clear the data and then migrate as soon as possible to a modern webhosting (preferably using a still maintained PHP version).


(dnaber) #6

Some research shows that “disk full” is the probable cause. I cannot be sure without shell access, but serving incomplete files is a typical problem of nginx when the disk is full. So probably this is not related at all to Matomo. Thanks for your help!