Matomo stopped reliably tracking data after switching to WordPress alt cron

I’m hoping someone can help me even though I’m not a technical person. My self-hosted Matomo was tracking my WordPress site just fine until I started having problems with the WP scheduler. A technical support guy I hired added an alternative cron job to get the scheduler working. Since he did that, Matomo is not showing reliable numbers.

Is there something that can be done to get reliable tracking in Matomo again? Would I be better off switching to Matomo for WordPress (it wasn’t available when I started) or would that not solve the problem?

Hi,

I am not sure how changing your Wordpress setup affects Matomo (unless you are using Matomo for Wordpress).

Just make sure that the Matomo cronjob is still runing successfully and check its output for errors.

I looked at the cron jobs (something I’m not really familiar with) and it looks like the Matomo cronjob is still there (php /home/mysite/public_html/matomo/console core:archive --url=http://mysite.com/matomo/ > /dev/null).Unfortunately, I don’t know how to check its output for errors. I just know that Matomo is only recording about 1 session out of every 10 (compared to our average numbers and to Google Analytics).

You are redirecting the output into nothing (> /dev/null). Simply redirect it to a file instead and check it after the cronjob ran.