Matomo Server Load Extremely High After 3.11.0

WARNING: /public/core/Translation/Translator.php(89): Warning - vsprintf(): Too few arguments - Matomo 3.11.0 - Please report this message in the Matomo forums: https://forum.matomo.org (please do a search first as it might have been reported already)

My webserver is fairly powerful with a 24 cores processing and 48 Gigs of RAM. I’ve had browser archiving enabled, and around 1,500 page views per day, but my server is always at 60% - 100% of resource usage since updating to 3.11.0.

When I turned browser archiving “Off” and set it to archive every 1 hour by Cron, it got much better but still sends my server into overdrive at 100% usage for about 10 minutes every hour. My cron job still isn’t configured by support, so maybe that’s why? I have the cron set to run every 3600 seconds.

When switching back to “Browser Archiving Enabled” I get the above error message at the top of this post. On the System Check page, I get 2 errors:

"It is recommended to configure a ‘max_allowed_packet’ size in your MySQL database of at least 64MB. Configured is currently 16MB."

and

"Archiving has not yet run successfully"

This update is just killing my traffic. Is there no resource throttling? I don’t understand how a server with 1,500 page views per day can drown my dedicated server processing info for roughly 100 page views per hour? I’m at 1% of what the Matomo Docs say you need for a dedicated server?

Thanks for any help you can provide!
James

Hi,

I can’t think of anything in this release that should have changed anything in how archiving works.
And your server should be by far powerful enough for many millions of pageviews per month.

Can you run archiving manually (just like the cronjob) and check the output? Maybe it always times out and has to redo all work again every time (just a wild guess).

Hi Lukas!

Thanks for the quick reply.
I run the archive script manually and it took several hours but finished with no errors.

Could the small ‘max_allowed_packet’ size (mine was set to 16M) have been causing a bottleneck? I increased it to 67M, but I’m curious?

Thanks!
James