Local search engine detection for keywords

I have several CO.UK websites. With traffic mainly coming from google UK and yahoo UK and some other European countries the keyword URLs show with .com extension like…

http://google.com/search?q=xxxxxxx

http://search.yahoo.com/search?p=xxxxxx

Could this be fixed in a future release so we know what local search engine (Google UK, Google Germany, Yahoo UK, etc) a visitor is coming from?

I am curious, Would the search not come from the UK version of domain or is this european ips searching google.com

ie xxxxxxx - Пошук Google

No.
Piwik always give links to google.com in both the search engines widget and the keyword widget.
I think that the devs have choose to make things like that.
When you go to Visitor > Visitor log, you get the right search engine TLD.
In the database, the referers that are search engines are logged with the correct TLD.

I would have suggested them to let us choose wich Google flavor we prefer Piwik using, but that would be the same.

I think that since for a given keyword people can use any TLD of Google and that Piwik only list each keyword once…
But, no.
When we clic the keyword it show a list of the search engines.
I dont know then what keep them from making it list each of Google TLD that have been used since it’s in the database.

(vipsoft) #4

The dev decision to aggregate by the search engine provider (instead of by URL) is a tradeoff between database size and archiving performance.

The level of detail can be extended via a third-party plugin. Here are some ideas in order of increasing database usage:
[ul]
[li] Aggregating by TLD (e.g., .com, .ca, .fr, .de, …) then keywords
[/li][li] Reporting by the original URL. (e.g., google.com, google.ca, google.fr, google.de, …) then keywords
[/li][li] Aggregating by TLD (e.g., .com, .ca, .fr, .de, …) then a subtable by original URL then keywords
[/li][li] Aggregating by country of the search engine (requires country to be data added to the lookup table if not obvious from the TLD) then a subtable by original URL then keywords
[/li][/ul]

And what if i would like to simply make Piwik open google.ca instead of google.com ?

A workaround (at least it works out for me) is to edit the searchengines.php file (in piwik/core/datafiles) and add the local versions like

www.google.co.uk’ => array(‘Google.co.uk’, ‘q’, ‘search?q={k}’),
www.google.fr’ => array(‘Google.fr’, ‘q’, ‘search?q={k}’),
www.google.ca’ => array(‘Google.ca’, ‘q’, ‘search?q={k}’),

ca.search.yahoo.com’ => array(‘Yahoo! CA’, ‘p’, ‘search?p={k}’),
uk.search.yahoo.com’ => array(‘Yahoo! UK/IE’, ‘p’, ‘search?p={k}’),