Just not Working

I have spent about 6 hours trying to get Piwik working. Originally on my own server and now on Arvixe which I bought as it wasn’t working on my main server.

I have been through all the trouble shooting steps but I cannot for the life of me figure out why this isn’t working and I don’t really want to spend any more time trying to get this working.

This is the trouble shooting guide. My comments are in italics.

Incorrect Piwik tracking code

Please check that you can find the Piwik javascript code on your website pages that you wish to track. Sometimes, when you copy paste the javascript code in other softwares, like Word or FrontPage, they may add extra spaces or characters. Make sure the code looks like this example (and that it mentions the right URL of your Piwik installation).
In some cases, when you install Piwik on your local test server, the javascript code might contain “localhost” or “127.0.0.1”. When you deploy Piwik in production, you have to edit the Javascript code so that it points to your website URL, eg. “http://example.org/piwik/”.
Also, each Piwik tracking code contains the idsite of your website registered in Piwik. If you only registered one website in Piwik, the idsite found in your Javascript code should be “1”.

Yes, Piwik code is showing and is identical

Make sure you are viewing reports for the correct website and date in Piwik
In Piwik, make sure you selected the right website in the website selector. Also, try to look at reports for “today” by changing the date in the date picker. Please wait at least 10 seconds after generating visits on your website: by default Piwik will only process reports every 10 seconds when “today” is selected.

Yes I am viewing reports for the correct website and date.

Archiving triggered from the browser must be enabled, if it is disabled the Cron script must be configured properly

In Settings > General Settings, ‘Allow Piwik archiving to trigger when reports are viewed from the browser’ must be set to ‘Yes’. If it is set to ‘No’, you must configure the cron script to automatically archive your web analytics reports, or Piwik will show ‘No Data’. More information about auto archiving.

Yes this is set up as described

Third party Piwik plugins
It is possible that some Third party Piwik plugins could cause problems when tracking your visitors. Please try to disable all the third party plugins you are using to see if it fixes the issue.
Do you have logs registered in your Piwik database?

New installation so no third party plugins

If your Piwik tracking code is properly installed, Piwik would record visits in your database. To check if you have logs in your database, go to Piwik > Visitors > Visitor log, and select “today” in the calendar. If you see recent visitor information, it means that the visitor tracking is working, but maybe there is a problem with reports archiving.
Note: you can also check if logs are recorded correctly by looking at the table “piwik_log_visit” (using phpMyAdmin for example) and see if there are visits recorded. Alternatively, you can enable the plugin “DBStats”, and then go to the “Database usage” tab in your Piwik administration area, and check if the table piwik_log_visit has any rows.

Nothing showing in Visitors Logs and Arvixe assure me that it is set up correctly

Testing Piwik with disabled Javascript
By default, Piwik only tracks visitors with javascript enabled. When you are testing that Piwik tracks visits properly make sure you have javascript enabled.
If you need help with javascript tracking check out docs/javascript-tracking.
If you need to use a tracking method which doesn’t involve javascript have a look at docs/tracking-api.
Piwik displays a red cross (on IE) or a broken image icon on your tracked pages, instead of the 1*1 transparent Pixel
Check out this FAQ answer.

Javascript is available

Access to piwik.php fails
If your host uses mod_security to block requests containing URLs (eg. hosts like HostGator, The Planet), check out the Piwik and mod_security FAQ.
If you use HTTP Authentication (Basic or Digest) on your Piwik files, you should exclude piwik.php and piwik.js from this authentication, or visitors on your website would be prompted with the authentication popup.

This is Arvixe and so mod_security should be set up for this to work

Tracking https (SSL) pages
If you install the Piwik Javascript Tracking tag on https:// pages, then the tracking requests will be sent to Piwik via https. This means that the server you installed Piwik on must be able to handle these https requests, or no data will be tracked. See also Piwik and SSL tracking.

This is a new install and isn’t on a secure domain

Local copy of piwik.js outdated

Some users make a local copy of piwik.js on a different server than their Piwik installation. This is not officially supported and causes issues when the piwik.js bundled with Piwik is updated and not compatible with the previous version (for example, this is the case in Piwik 0.5.5). Please check that your Piwik JS tracking code is exactly the one given in the Piwik admin screen.
Using Piwik latest version

This is a new install

If you are still seing “No data”, please make sure you are using the latest version of Piwik (if not, update now).

This is a new install

Check your webserver error logs

If all else fails, it is possible that there is a server misconfiguration preventing Piwik from tracking your visits or processing reports. Often, there will be an error in the webserver error logs (apache logs, IIS logs, nginx logs, etc.). Please check that your PHP is configured to log errors: (php.ini should contain log_errors = On and error_log = /path/to/log). The messages in the webserver error log will help you find the source of the problem, for example search for the error message on this website.

Nothing in the error logs and Arvixe assure me that this is set up properly.

Have to say I am pretty disappointed that I picked up your recommend webhost who had Piwik installed for me and I am unable to get any results showing.

If anyone could shed any light on this for me I would be grateful. I used to use Piwik several years ago and it all worked without any problems at all.

PM matt or myself with a link to this thread. Include the URL of your site being tracked, and URL/login/password to your Piwik instance.

The JavaScript tracking code is malformed. For some reason, there’s a backslash in front of all the double quotes. For example, instead of:

<script type="text/javascript">

you have:

<script type=\"text/javascript\">

As a result, the JavaScript is not executing.

Also, I noticed you have a redirect from your www.yoursite.com to yoursite.com. If this isn’t set-up correctly, you may lose Referer information.

vipsoft offer a good post.http://www.HERIMAGES.INFO/avatar1.jpg

That is just the weirdest thing. I copied and pasted it directly from the piwik tracking code on the site to the tracking plugin on the Wordpress site.

Looks like the tracking plugin modifies it for some odd reason. Serves me right for not just adding it straight into the theme files.

Sent you a beer or 2, depending on how much beer costs in Canada!

I have the same issue as indicated above, however I have been attempting to get Piwik to work for several days…

a handful of records have registered

Please vipsoft or matt, please HELP?

Here is the information below.

URL being tracked: ELIMOTC

Piwik:
http://www.castonjackson.com/analytics/piwik
User: psupport
Pwd : password

Any clue of what I have done wrong?

if you dont have any data i the visitor log,
You can try debug as per instructions in: http://piwik.org/docs/tracking-api/reference/#toc-debugging-the-tracking-api-requests

Completed the task assigned. I am seeing messages in Firebug, but still no difference inside Piwik.

Suggestions?

What messages are you seeing in the piwik.php?.. url ?

matt,

sorry to be a pain. I am not seeing any messages in the piwik.php file. At the URL is there a particular filename in the URL which I should see.

I am going to invest in a month subscription in Arvixe to see if I get a similar result.

Thanks for your time.

Caston