It all looks nice, but

I have tried a manual installation on a standard php based website and the installation screen doesn’t insert the green ticks when checking the environment and ‘Details’ is not clickable.

Carrying on with the installation, I end up with a text only display all in the left hand side of the screen and lots of Oops, I couldn’t … messages.

Then tried on a hosted Joomla site using the 0.6.4 Joomla installer. All went well and data was being received, but this was only a trial and had to be removed.

Next install was for a guy that simply wanted to avoid using Google Analytics, but he had a maximum file upload restriction of 500kb per file, so that was a no go with the TCPDF class.

Final attempt was on a site that had to use FTP credentials to upload modules and components. The upload and install of com_piwik_v221 went okay but when clicking the on the ‘Install Piwik’ button, nothing happens.

Nice product from what I’ve seen, but just not practical for me to deploy to clients as yet.

George

[quote=skygod @ Aug 9 2010, 12:04 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I have tried a manual installation on a standard php based website and the installation screen doesn’t insert the green ticks when checking the environment and ‘Details’ is not clickable.

Carrying on with the installation, I end up with a text only display all in the left hand side of the screen and lots of Oops, I couldn’t … messages.

That means your “standard” php webhost isn’t so standard. The web server is failing on the .htaccess files that provide an additional layer of security to your Piwik installation. If you want to forego that layer of security, remove all the .htaccess files created by the installer. Otherwise contact the system administrator to move those rules into the virtualhost configuration.

Next install was for a guy that simply wanted to avoid using Google Analytics, but he had a maximum file upload restriction of 500kb per file, so that was a no go with the TCPDF class.

There are a lot of better web hosts out there. If your client doesn’t mind losing PDF report functionality, then you can remove the libs/tcpdf and plugins/PDFReports directories (and edit config/global.ini.php to remove PDFReports from the list of plugins]Final attempt was on a site that had to use FTP credentials to upload modules and components. The upload and install of com_piwik_v221 went okay but when clicking the on the ‘Install Piwik’ button, nothing happens.[/quote]
Take it up with the developer. That’s not one our of distributions/packages.

[quote=vipsoft @ Aug 9 2010, 02:24 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

That means your “standard” php webhost isn’t so standard. The web server is failing on the .htaccess files that provide an additional layer of security to your Piwik installation. If you want to forego that layer of security, remove all the .htaccess files created by the installer. Otherwise contact the system administrator to move those rules into the virtualhost configuration.

This customer has all sorts of mod_rewrite rules and conditions in his .htaccess file, so I’m loath to start changing anything there. As he is on a shared host, there is no access to change virtualhost settings, so I’ll just try as you suggest to install and then remove the .htaccess files.
QUOTE (vipsoft @ Aug 9 2010, 02:24 PM) [<{POST_SNAPBACK}>](index.php?act=findpost&pid=55621)
There are a lot of better web hosts out there. If your client doesn't mind losing PDF report functionality, then you can remove the libs/tcpdf and plugins/PDFReports directories (and edit config/global.ini.php to remove PDFReports from the list of plugins).
I know there are hosts that allow much larger transfers, so I questioned him about this. It seems that he regularly develops small sites for people to host on free hosting servers, so has self imposed the 500kb limit which is often applied to free sites. He considered using his own site as a 'master' Piwik site, but that defeats the object of having to run remote scripts from his clients servers. Will retry an installation with the PDF functionality removed to see if we get better success.
QUOTE (vipsoft @ Aug 9 2010, 02:24 PM]Take it up with the developer. That's not one our of distributions/packages.[/quote] Apologies. I assumed (incorrectly) that the com_piwik was a Piwik release.