Is Piwik suitable for shared hositng

Can piwik be used in a shared hosting environment to provide stats for multiple sites, which each having their own login?
Or does every site need its own Piwik installation.

It is possible to create a different log in for each site and not allow access to the others, certainly in 2.0.3 as I currently have this working.

There are switches which lets you control the level of control the account has - whether it can view or not or even be an admin for that site.

sounds like a good start then, I really hate AWSTATS, it is really horrible looking, horrible to use and a PITA to get working.

so a few more questions.

is there an API to automate the creation of sites and users and schedule the importing of logs for each site.
If it can do all this, then I may see if I can get supported added to WebsitePanel.

yes API for both http://piwik.org/docs/analytics-api/ import logs is nothing more than setup a cron job(s) when it suits you.

cheers

I have been reading through the docs and they are saying that ALL logs have to be on the PIWIK server. Is this really the case, as I wouldn’t be able to do this, I need to read the logs for each site directly from the server it is on via network path, e.g.

\server\d$\username\domain.com\logs\wcsvc1234*.log

I also get the impression form the docs that you must specify each log to import 1 at a time, is this the case, is there no option to just specify the LOGS folder and let it import all log files which have not been previously imported?

You can import log files from different places. Just try it and it will work…

I have been reading through the docs and they are saying that ALL logs have to be on the PIWIK server. Is this really the case, as I wouldn’t be able to do this, I need to read the logs for each site directly from the server it is on via network path, e.g.

Well that depends whether your server can read files from other servers, it’s not to do with Piwik itself. It accepts any path. Maybe setup network filesystem?