Installation creates problematic sub-directories

Hi,

I’ve tried to install Piwik, my server fully complies to the requirements

Oddly enough, I face a problem as soon as I try to access the first step of the installation.

I uploaded the whole (latest) piwik directory to the server through FTP, and then lauched the install.
The first error was that some temp directory didn’t have the required rights - so i CHMOD it and all sub-dirs, but the install had already created templates_c in that tmp directory with around 5 extensionless files with random names (wrt…) that were created by another owner, and not being an admin of the server, i have no way to delete them. (or CHMOD or rename or replace or…or…or!)

Now, I have contacted my admin, to ask for them to delete it, but how should i proceed to install Piwik now?

Thank you for your help! style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/sad.gif

hi,

maybe you could try to create the tmp folder and it’s subfolder by yourself with the good rights (i have tmp/cache, tmp/latest, tmp/template_c) before running piwik install … just a tought, not an approved solution style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/wink.gif

Thanks tom, not sure it will work, i just tried but unfortunately I mistook “templates_c” for “template_c” (forgot the “s”) so the other one was also created, still under owner 3333 style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/sad.gif style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/unsure.gif

Ok, so I am back to square one, I asked my admin to CHOWN this time, i hope it works out ok

But other than this, does anyone have the same problem, how could this be, I just took piwik right out of the “box”, is there anything to set on the server side?

The installation steps aren’t very thorough on that, I mean, they don’t even say something about CHMODing the tmp folder to 777, why ? style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/blink.gif

Thanks!

OH! Apparently I could rename the culprit today, (still can’t delete it)
And your solution worked out, tom, thanks, i can now proceed to the install