Install problems with PIWIK

Hi,
I just downloaded PIWIK and tried to install it and ran into this problem straight
when i try to run the installaion wizard i get the following error message:

preg_replace() [function.preg-replace]: Unknown modifier '.'
in ‘/vhost/vhost8/x/-/q/x-quisite.co.uk/www/pwiki/core/SmartyPlugins/outputfilter.cachebuster.php’ at the line 47

#0 Piwik_ErrorHandler(2, preg_replace() [function.preg-replace]: Unknown modifier ‘.’, /vhost/vhost8/x/-/q/x-quisite.co.uk/www/pwiki/core/SmartyPlugins/outputfilter.cachebuster.php, 47, Array ([source] =>

My server is running PHP 5.1.6 MySQL 4.122

Please can someone advise on what i should do to resolve the problem.
Thanks

Nazmul

Try changing:

$pattern = array(
            '/<script type="text\/javascript" src="([^"]+)">/',
            '/<script src="([^"]+)" type="text\/javascript">/',
            '/<link rel="stylesheet" type="text\/css" href="([^"]+)"/'
        );

to:

$pattern = array(
            '~<script type="text/javascript" src="([^"]+)">~',
            '~<script src="([^"]+)" type="text/javascript">~',
            '~<link rel="stylesheet" type="text/css" href="([^"]+)"~'
        );

Those little square boxes should contain checkmarks (pass) or X’s (fail). Broken images usually means either the files don’t exist (incomplete upload) or the files can’t be read by the web server user (i.e., permissions problem).

What chmod settings should i have for the folders and files inside the piwik folder

Also as a separate test i have mangaged to sucessfully install piwiki on a different domain, with the same server settings by the same hosting company.

I am a bit confused

Did you hack your include path?

I dont have much knowledge or skilled to be able to hack, i have just left things as normal.

Can you give me an example of hacking the include path?

I am also re-uploading the files as we speak.

Ill let you know if this does the trick

reuploading the files did not work - there were no errors reported from the FTP program.

I have installed many other open source software of the server, such wordpress and livezilla and these are working fine.

if it is a server issue, then what problem should report to the hosting company?

It cant be the files because i have installed on second live domain as well as on a mamp server.

Any help to resolve the issue will much appreciated as i would like to use this on my site and unfortunately this is my main site and the other just test site i use.

Soft-links perhaps?

The error message shows both “…/…/…/piwik/libs” and “/vhost/vhost8/x/-/q/x-quisite.co.uk/www/analytics/libs”; Piwik doesn’t insert “piwik” or “analytics” into the search path, so it’s something about your system environment.

I’m guessing this is a caused by a difference between your real path and your vhosting path.

What if you rename your “piwik” folder as “analytics”?

[quote=vipsoft @ Aug 8 2009, 11:38 PM]Soft-links perhaps?

The error message shows both “…/…/…/piwik/libs” and “/vhost/vhost8/x/-/q/x-quisite.co.uk/www/analytics/libs”; Piwik doesn’t insert “piwik” or “analytics” into the search path, so it’s something about your system environment.[/quote]

when you mean system environment - i am assuming you are referring to my local computer that i am working from.

You have triggered, something that i did, let me try that!

[quote=nazmul @ Aug 9 2009, 12:50 AM]when you mean system environment - i am assuming you are referring to my local computer that i am working from.

You have triggered, something that i did, let me try that![/quote]

Great News - I finally got it to install correctly without any problems.

The issue started when i renamed the piwik to analytics in dreamweaver and the updated all links.
I downloaded a fresh copy and reinstalled without renaming and it worked. Thanks to your trouble help.

Thank you