Inconsistent tracking data when using SSL

Hello Piwik folks.

I’m brand new to the world of Piwik and have installed Piwik locally on a LEMP server. Both sides (piwik.example.com and example.com) are HTTPS only. Tracking for direct entry on desktop appears to be working correctly, as I’m recording visits in Real-time Map, Visitor Log, etc when I access the site. However, visits from mobile devices (with Javascript enabled) are not being tracked. It seems like I’m missing something painfully obvious, but could not find a relevant solution from the FAQ’s and Troubleshooting guides. If any other configuration details are needed, I’ll be happy to provide them.

Cheers,
-Joe

tracking from mobile devices should work fine… Maybe you can see some warnings, or JS errors, or other messages in the browser console ?

If you cant see anything, then try to debug the tracking requests as explained in: Tracking HTTP API: API Reference - Matomo Analytics (formerly Piwik Analytics) - Developer Docs - v3

I found the problem – I was using a self-signed certificate for the piwik domain. After getting a valid certificate, everything works as expected. I was seeing results for myself, because I had approved the self-signed certificate on my machine. Using incognito mode revealed the network errors with the external piwik resources.

Thanks!