Impossible to install piwik, error 500

I’m trying to install piwik on a new server, i already installed and used piwik with no issues so i don’t understand.
This is exactly what i did :

cd /var/www
wget http://piwik.org/latest.zip
unzip latest.zip
rm How\ to\ install\ Piwik.html

Then i go to the url and i see “500 Internal Server Error”.
I tried upload by ftp and chmod 777 and i have the same issue.

Here is my log file :

SoftException in Application.cpp:249: File "/var/www/piwik/index.php" is writeable by group
Premature end of script headers: index.php

Hey. I had the same issue. The permissions on the files (not folders or directories) are not set correctly.

Simply change all the file permissions from 664 to 644 in the piwik main directory. Then you are done.

If someone can file a bug report on that, it took me about an hour to figure out what was going on.

I hope this helps!

Weird, I was getting the exact same problem. I have 5 other installs of Piwik on my server I’ve installed over the past 2 years without any problems, must be something in the latest version.

Thanks so much for your solution quark, that fixed it for me perfectly.

-Ricky

Ricky, you’re welcome. It’s such a great software, I figured I would sign up for the forums to do my part. Thanks to all the developers who keep improving this for everyone!

Thanks for the report we will look into it in: latest upgrade file permissions incorrect causing server 500 · Issue #3869 · matomo-org/matomo · GitHub