I have a problem with the registration email

Hello,
I have a matomo instance (4.11.0) in self-hosted (debian 10, nginix, php-fpm 7.3)
I have a problem with the registration email.
All other emails are sent correctly (administration email etc.). When I register a user, the interface freezes for a few seconds and an error message appears:
“Oops… There was a problem while processing the request. Maybe the server had a temporary problem, or maybe you requested a report with too much data. Please try again. If this error recurs please contact your Matomo administrator for assistance.”
I can’t find anything wrong in the logs.
The command line test works (./console core:test-email user@provider.fr).
I have not noticed any other malfunction.
Can anyone give me some leads to investigate? Thanks

Isn’t there really no error or warning, some kind of timeout, etc. in the Matomo log file?

Hello Philippe,
Thank you for the answer.
Indeed I have this line in the matomo.error.log
2022/09/30 12:02:57 [error] 806#806: *54936 upstream timed out (110: Connection timed out) while reading response header from upstream, client: 192.168.xxx.xxx, server: matomo.megalis.bretagne.bzh, request: “POST /index.php?date=yesterday&module=API&format=json&method=UsersManager.resendInvite&userLogin=lydie.xxxxxxxx&segment=&idSite=2&period=day HTTP/2.0”, upstream: “fastcgi://unix:/run/php/php7.3-fpm.sock”, host: “matomo.xxxxxxx.bretagne.bzh”, referrer: “https://matomo.xxxxxxx.bretagne.bzh/

and this one in php7.3-fpm.log
[29-Sep-2022 11:19:30] WARNING: [pool www] server reached pm.max_children setting (5), consider raising it
but this installation is not recent. Matomo was working fine until last week.

Hello Philippe,

I managed to get around the problem.
It seems that the problem only occurs when the user inviting a new user is “superuser”. I created an account just “administrator” and all the invitations are correctly sent.
Thank you !

1 Like

@innocraft, is it an expected behavior ?

Hi @Franck_Megalis ,

We have investigated and as per devs there is no issue, it could be some random server issue. No issues with the feature. If you could upgrade to version 4.12, you should be able to copy the invite link

2 Likes

Slightly off topic,
but to make it discoverable by folks who are searching for email problems, please notice this FAQ:
“How do I Invite a new user if email hasn’t worked?”
If you are having trouble create new Users and sending or receiving invite emails, you can use the “Copy link” feature.

1 Like