How to create more than 100 content groups?

Hello,

I have a website offering several IT services at university (for example Wifi, VPN, O365…). Every service provided has its own service page and several instructions pages belonging to one service. I would like to group and see statistics per each service (including instructions), could you please help me to find a way for this?

Currently I decided to use segemnts for that (Page URL contains…), but I realized that it convers not only specific service pages, but also pages that were visited by users who saw specific service pages.

I would be grateful for any suggestions.
Radka

Segments are the best solution. In the right field/s you must not choose one of the displayed options, you can write in this fields free, and use in the left “Page url” and in the middle “Starts with” or what fits to your solution.

1 Like

Thank you very much, I will try it this way.

Go with a custom dimension!

Set up the correct group tagging at the website script level.

Thank you for your message!

Could you please explain it more? I’m not an advanced user and I would need more detailed guidance.

Thank you very much.

Best regards,

Radka

You need to customize your javascript tags on the website.

Here you can find the Matomo guide for the setup:

And this is how you do it in your specific use case:
https://developer.matomo.org/guides/tracking-javascript-guide#setting-a-custom-dimension-for-the-initial-page-view

_paq.push(['setCustomDimension', customDimensionId = 1, customDimensionValue = 'Wifi']);
_paq.push(['trackPageView']);

You just need to set up your code such as the value for the field customDimensionValue changes dinamically and according to the content group you want to track.

It definitely needs some frontend programming in order to achieve correct tracking, but it’s definitely the best and more solid way to do it.

1 Like

I used Custom Report premium plugin for similar problem.

But, in this case you are limited to 5 custom dimension right? So, if i need report for 10 type of service, each composed of N pages identifiable by url with a common part, how can i do with custom report?

You just need ONE custom dimension to do the trick (e.g. “Content grouping”). Obviously you should tag all the pages you wanted to group with the corresponding values.

But once set up, the reporting is pretty straightforward, you just have your report in the Behavior menu:

(For context, here I’m tracking the page types provided in the dataLayer by the Google Tag Manager for Wordpress plugin: I’m using Matomo Tag Manager to fire the tags, while feeding the custom dimension from the dataLayer)

Hmm… you can always add more custom dimensions than that, the only thing is: it’s not recommended because it takes a toll on the DB performance.

10 different types of classification probably calls for some tyding up of the parameters you want to collect!

1 Like

Hi @kal, @SimoneF

In my case, we have 30 + 30 custom dimensions defined, and 1,7 millions of hits per day, with only 2 PHP servers, and custom dimensions don’t take that much time to process…

1 Like