Homeland Security using piwik on seized website domains

DHS has seized several dozen websites for ‘intellectual property’ violations.

i can’t post any urls because of the spam filter here. but google it. or look at drudgereport.com from nov 27 2010.

Now if you ‘view source’ on those seized sites, the code has 3 sections.

1. show the DHS logo
  2. piwik tracking
  3. google analytics tracking

Now, I dont know what authority the US government has to track people who go to those websites. I don’t see any ‘privacy policy’ notice. Is that not violating the 4th amendment, which bans unreasonable search?

Second off all, is the DHS compliant with the GPL and its’ copyright? Has DHS published any modifications it has made to piwik?

Just curious!

-Decora

privacy policy: can’t say. Is it a legal requirement in the US?

GPL: yes, compliant. “Using” piwik is not conveyance/redistribution.

(p.s. I edited the subject line a bit; Piwik doesn’t seize websites)

[quote=vipsoft @ Nov 27 2010, 05:48 PM]privacy policy: can’t say. Is it a legal requirement in the US?

GPL: yes, compliant. “Using” piwik is not conveyance/redistribution.

(p.s. I edited the subject line a bit; Piwik doesn’t seize websites)[/quote]

Thanks for editing the subject.

From the piwik FAQ:

“If you distribute a modified version of Piwik, or software that includes Piwik as a module, or develop a website for a customer/client that includes Piwik, you must give access to the code source and publish all the code under the GPL.”

what if DHS ‘outsourced’ the seizures to a contractor, including the creation of the new ‘seized’ webpages?

Neither the contractor nor DHS is distributing Piwik to the public. There’s no compliance issue in this respect.

However, the contractor may be obligated to provide Piwik source to DHS if Piwik was installed on DHS servers, but that’s not something we can investigate.