GeoIP Organization Database

Hello,

Would there be anyway to cross verify and or replace the Provider information with information purchased from the IP to Organization database?

Or perhaps is there method to assign a provider manually?

Any thoughts?

It’s in the works… http://dev.piwik.org/trac/browser/branches/1823-geolocation/plugins/Geolocation/Adapter/MaxMind/DataFile.php?rev=6545#L212

That’s great. From what I understand, if the Organization database is available, this would add another parameter for organization? or does it replace provider entirely?

Intend to replace provider

Hi,

Just to be clear, I did not really understand. Is the Organization database info already implemented in Piwik? There was a link to source code, is that something that I can update my server with myself? we run today 1.8.3

or is it coming in next release. I f it is coming in the next release, when will that be?

Thanx,
Carlos

Looks nice vipsoft.

@carlos: The organization database is currently not implemented at least not in a stable release. As far as I can see on the Roadmap it is intended to be included in 1.9 as part inclusion of the GeoIP plugin in the core release.

I have made an plugin for internal use you can try if you want, it is essentially a stripped down and repurposed version of the GeoIP plugin so all credit goes to the developers of that.

[ul]
[li] Extract the folder in your plugins folder.
[/li][li] Put your database file GeoIPOrg.dat in plugins/GeoIPOrg/libs
[/li][li] Reconfigure the geoip apache plugin to use that file if you want better performance.
[/li][li] Activate the plugin.
[/li][li] Run plugins/GeoIPOrg/misc/geoipUpdateRows.php to update old entries.
[/li][li] Drop archive tables so piwik recreates them.
[/li][/ul]

Note that this was made as a quick solution for internal use so use at your own risk.

Link:

http://speedy.sh/mRwTk/GeoIPOrg.zip

Thank you for your work and submission, we hope to include geoip in core soon so maybe you’d like to help with this, or with testing?

I tried your url faztplay - Watch Movies Instantly Online but it doesn’t load for me. can you please upload your ZIP in this ticket and explain quickly if we could reuse it for core ?

kuddos for your contrib!

http://www.speedyshare.com/mRwTk/download/GeoIPOrg.zip

Good news: GeoIP is now integrated in Piwik, enabling Accurate Visitors Geolocation in your Analytics reports. To enable GeoIP go to the Settings > Geolocation admin page, and follow the short instructions.

You can also get an even more accurate Country & City Database from here to enjoy top accuracy in detecting your visitors locations.

See also the documentation about Geolocation - Analytics Reports in Piwik.

What about GeoIPOrg.dat? I have the GeoIP (Php) function operating correctly using GeoIPCity.dat and have also installed GeoIPOrg.dat, but I don’t see anywhere within Piwik to view the organization information. Shouldn’t there (or will there) be an additional panel on the “Locations and Provider” dashboard/reports?

Please help me understand how to see the Org info. Thanks.

the org data will replace the provider for a given visitor when available. It will appear in Provider report.

Thanks Matt!

Excellent. Just to confirm, to install the GeoIPOrg.dat I just need to upload it to the misc folder right? After that, the provider information should be automatically updated with the information from this database?

Okay, has anyone done this and is it working? I have uploaded GeoIPOrg.dat to the Misc folder, but it doesn’t seem to be working. I would be interested in knowing if there is any other steps I have to do.

hen you say it isnt workingis it new visits or old one? Old ones would need to be reprocessed to get some of that geoip data back.

Hi -
Thank you. I have a brand new install and actually just checked and it is now working. Not sure why I didn’t see it before. So basically it was just a matter of purchasing the GeoIPOrg.dat and then uploading it to the misc. folder. Pretty easy :slight_smile: