Geo IP plugin not working in 1.4

After i upgrade the piwik from 1.3 to 1.4 the geoip plugin stopped working it says country as “unknown” .

I guess the issues is on IPV6 . can someone help me in fixing this problem ?

Elam

Hi Elam,

please have a look into your DB - is the location_ip col in the table “piwik_log_visit” one of the type “varbinary” or “integer”? - If it is integer, please refer to the solution in this post. - I think this was a solution for this bug in another thread.

Hi Mediaproweb,

thanks for the Input . i am not looking for that. The problem is with GEOIP plugin after upgrade the piwik 1.4

Elam

Are you using the latest version of the GeoIP plugin?

I’m working on IPv6 support now for the new geolocation plugin that will be included in Piwik.

Yes Anthon

I am using latest plugin .Actually i did some research and found the problem it’s with the location_ip column . in 1.4 is var binary now . which is not supported in the geoip plugin , so i guess we need to modify that

can you help me in modify that ??

Elam

By “latest”, I mean the GeoIP plugin that I updated about 7 days ago. Plugin using GeoIP to accurately detect visitor countries, cities, and continent · Issue #5465 · matomo-org/matomo · GitHub

Hi Anthon,
Is version 0.17 the latest GeoIP plugin out there?

Thanks for your time,

• Quan

Anthon, please disregard my last question, I just checked the Changelog and it looks like 0.17 is the latest version.

I do however have another question about GeoIP plugin: not sure if I’m looking at the wrong thing, but it doesn’t seem to me that the countries shown in Visitors -> Locations & Provider link match up with the countries displayed in the Visitors -> Visitor Log (where it shows the flags of the countries). Is this possible, or do the flags in the “Visitor Log” screen come from the same data source as the other?

I took another look at my database, and in piwik_log_visit, i have plenty of records where location_country <> location_geoip_country.

Any idea how this happened, and how I can fix it?

Btw, I just added this line to the config file today, so could this be the reason why some of my old records have the discrepancy (because i didn’t set this before)?
enable_language_to_country_guess = 0

Thanks for your time,

• Quan

The GeoIP columns are only used by the GeoIP widgets.

This will be addressed in the new plugin.

Good news: GeoIP is now integrated in Piwik, enabling Accurate Visitors Geolocation in your Analytics reports. To enable GeoIP go to the Settings > Geolocation admin page, and follow the short instructions.

You can also get an even more accurate Country & City Database from here to enjoy top accuracy in detecting your visitors locations.

See also the documentation about Geolocation - Analytics Reports in Piwik.