[Fixed] Cannot log into Piwik 2.4.1

Piwik login was working, but now I can no longer login.

I get the following error message when visiting www.mydomain.de/piwik

WARN Piwik\Session[2014-07-19 19:14:50] [9a453] Unable to start session: Zend_Session::start() - /var/www/virtual/username/html/piwik/libs/Zend/Session.php(Line:469): Error #2 session_start(): The session id is too long or contains illegal characters, valid characters are a-z, A-Z, 0-9 and ‘-,’ Array/var/www/virtual/username/html/piwik/libs/Zend/Session.php(Line:479): Error #2 session_write_close(): The session id is too long or contains illegal characters, valid characters are a-z, A-Z, 0-9 and ‘-,’ Array/var/www/virtual/username/html/piwik/libs/Zend/Session.php(Line:479): Error #2 session_write_close(): Failed to write session data (files). Please verify that the current setting of session.save_path is correct (/var/www/virtual/username/html/piwik/tmp/sessions) Array

Error: Starten einer Session nicht möglich. Please check that the web server has enough permission to write to these files/directories:
For example, on a GNU/Linux server if your Apache httpd user is username, you can try to execute:
chown -R username:username /var/www/virtual/username/html/piwik/tmp/sessions/
chmod -R 0755 /var/www/virtual/username/html/piwik/tmp/sessions/

If you still experience issues after trying these changes, we recommend that you enable database session storage.

Debug: the original error was
Zend_Session::start() - /var/www/virtual/username/html/piwik/libs/Zend/Session.php(Line:469): Error #2 session_start(): The session id is too long or contains illegal characters, valid characters are a-z, A-Z, 0-9 and ‘-,’ Array
/var/www/virtual/username/html/piwik/libs/Zend/Session.php(Line:479): Error #2 session_write_close(): The session id is too long or contains illegal characters, valid characters are a-z, A-Z, 0-9 and ‘-,’ Array
/var/www/virtual/username/html/piwik/libs/Zend/Session.php(Line:479): Error #2 session_write_close(): Failed to write session data (files). Please verify that the current setting of session.save_path is correct (/var/www/virtual/username/html/piwik/tmp/sessions) Array

I set the permission of the tmp folder to 755 for all files included, but still cannot login.

when I log in i get
There is an error. Please report the message (Piwik 2.4.1) and full backtrace in the Piwik forums (please do a Search first as it might have been reported already!).

Warning: file_get_contents(): php_network_getaddresses: getaddrinfo failed: Name or service not known in /var/www/piwik/core/Http.php on line 406

Fixed by removing all cookies from browser. Back to working state. Not sure what went wrong in the first place. Consider solved.