"Failed to load HTML file" - 2.3.0-rc2

@Ebola_Gray Thanks for the tip, i’ve removed test.php from the htaccess files since it is not desired https://github.com/piwik/piwik/commit/10eaf628195ca13ac299bb13291ad01f043973a3

@brucedwilliams We’d like to help find the bug and solution!

Attempting to directly access the file produces a 403 Forbidden for me.

What is the error message in your web server error log?

[Tue May 27 21:18:11 2014] [error] [client xx.xxx.xxx.xxx] (13)Permission denied: access to /plugins/ZenMode/angularjs/quick-access/quick-access.html failed because search permissions are missing on a component of the path

@brucedwilliams Please try the following

change the permissions from 750 to 755 of:

/plugins/ZenMode/
/plugins/ZenMode/angularjs/
/plugins/ZenMode/angularjs/quick-access/

Already tried that and makes no difference.

@bruce see similar problem: FailedBecauseSearchPermissionsAreMissing < Support < TWiki

The solution is : What “search permissions are missing on a component of the path” means is that somewhere in the directory path leading up to the file in question, there’s a search (x) bit missing from one of the directories.

All directories are set to 755. The problem is in the .htaccess and not in the file/directory permissions. Removing the .htaccess by renaming it fixes this issue.

I’m not expert at .htaccess syntax so just need someone to figure out what the problem is with the .htaccess that I posted earlier.

It is not working good. After I changed in httaccess to
<Files ~ “.(test\php|gif|ico|jpg|png|svg|js|css|htm|html|swf|mp3|mp4|wav|ogg|avi)$”>
there is no error, but also there is no images at all.

Hmm. Looks like I spoke too soon. This does appear to be working now with the original .htaccess and directories set to 755 permissions.

If you still experience this issue, please try with the latest 2.4.0 beta which is available as per instructions here: I would like to test early beta and RC releases, how do I enable automatic updates to use these development versions? - Analytics Platform - Matomo

After upgrading to 2.4.0 if you still have the issue please let me know here! We are really hoping to fix this problem for all of you!

Thanks DavidY looks like changing the permission on said directories did the job for me too.
All working now :wink:

I had this problem for weeks after upgarding Piwik and it persisted even after upgrading to the Piwik 2.4 release. However, the post about changing file permissions by DavidY solved the problem.

I had the same Problem after updating from 2.3.0 to 2.4.0.
I found the following errors in the error.log:
piwik/plugins/.htaccess: AddHandler not allowed here

The solution that worked for me was to change the Apache config.

I added “FileInfo” to the “AllowOverride” directive for the Piwik Directory.