"Failed to load HTML file" - 2.3.0-rc2

Failed to load HTML file: Please check your server configuration. You may want to whitelist “*.html” files from the “plugins” directory. The HTTP status code is 404 for URL “plugins/ZenMode/angularjs/quick-access/quick-access.html”

I get this message on my dashboard.

I upgraded from 2.2.2 and this is a fresh installation. 2.2.2 did not have this problem.

(Matthieu Aubry) #2

Thanks for reporting. If you open the file: plugins/ZenMode/angularjs/quick-access/quick-access.html directly, what message do you see?

Do you have access to your server error log which would likely contain an error message?

When I try to open that file directly in my browser, I get a 404 error message.

The error message in the error log is:

[Fri May 23 02:16:10.011866 2014] [core:crit] [pid 14069] (13)Permission denied: [client xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx:36804] AH00529: /public_html/piwik/plugins/ZenMode/.htaccess pcfg_openfile: unable to check htaccess file, ensure it is readable and that ‘/public_html/piwik/plugins/ZenMode/’ is executable

I created a Hello World html file and could open it directly while the html file was sitting in Zeitgeist, but not when sitting in ZenMode. Any significance to that?

I fixed the problem by changing the permissions from 750 to 755 of:

/plugins/ZenMode/
/plugins/ZenMode/angularjs/
/plugins/ZenMode/angularjs/quick-access/

I’m pretty sure that I did not change all of these permissions. I updated automatically.

I had the exact same problem! After an update (that was done through the web interface, automatically), I got the same error. Manually changing the permission on those files helped.

(Running on a CentOS Linux on WebFaction.)

This does not seem to be a widespread problem?

I just updated to 2.3.0 and this error occurred.

Same problem here…
"Failed to load HTML file: Please check your server configuration. You may want to whitelist “*.html” files from the “plugins” directory. The HTTP status code is 403 for URL “plugins/ZenMode/angularjs/quick-access/quick-access.html”

I had the same problem after upgrading from 2.2.0 to 2.3.0. Changing the directory permission fixed the problem.

(habakuk) #10

Me too, auto updated to 2.3.0 (from 2.2.2) and got this error.

The file permissions are not the problem for the “403” error. I guess the .htaccess in the /plugins direktory is the problem…

Hi everybody ! I had the same error and the changing of these directories permissions fixed this problem. But not changing the directory tmp permission as I red in a post.

Hi

I have the same problemMe too, with an auto updated to 2.3.0 (from 2.2.2).
I manualy change the directory permissions from 750 to 755, for ZenMode (and all sub-folders) and it solves the issue.

same for me. CHMOD 775 helped - same as vincent3569

(Neil Gee) #14

Same for me - CHMOD 775 did the trick

I had the same problem.
Thanks to the information to change the permissions it all works fine now!

Change to: 755

Changing the permissions as per the post by DavidY as follows fixed the problem.

I fixed the problem by changing the permissions from 750 to 755 of:

/plugins/ZenMode/
/plugins/ZenMode/angularjs/
/plugins/ZenMode/angularjs/quick-access/

Hi everyone, We had same issue after upgrading to 2.3.0. Our piwik instance is hosted on IIS 8.0 and we solved the issue by removing *.html extension from Request Filtering.

I had the same issue from the auto update. I think the problem may be a syntax error in the .htaccess. Here is my post from another thread:

"Might want to check the plugins .htaccess file. In mine, I saw this about halfway down:

Allow to serve static files which are safe

<Files ~ “.(test.php|gif|ico|jpg|png|svg|js|css|htm|html|swf|mp3|mp4|wav|ogg|avi)$”>

I changed it to:

Allow to serve static files which are safe

<Files ~ “.(test\php|gif|ico|jpg|png|svg|js|css|htm|html|swf|mp3|mp4|wav|ogg|avi)$”>

(Note the php entry)

This solved the 403 error for me without changing permissions."

Same issue here: "Failed to load HTML file: Please check your server configuration. You may want to whitelist “*.html” files from the “plugins” directory. The HTTP status code is 403 for URL “plugins/ZenMode/angularjs/quick-access/quick-access.html”

Attempting to directly access the file produces a 403 Forbidden for me.

My .htaccess for the /plugins directory is:

# First, deny access to all files in this directory
<Files "*">
<IfModule mod_version.c>
	<IfVersion < 2.4>
		Order Deny,Allow
		Deny from All
	</IfVersion>
	<IfVersion >= 2.4>
		Require all denied
	</IfVersion>
</IfModule>
<IfModule !mod_version.c>
	<IfModule !mod_authz_core.c>
		Order Deny,Allow
		Deny from All
	</IfModule>
	<IfModule mod_authz_core.c>
		Require all denied
	</IfModule>
</IfModule>
</Files>
# Allow to serve static files which are safe
<Files ~ "\.(test\.php|gif|ico|jpg|png|svg|js|css|htm|html|swf|mp3|mp4|wav|ogg|avi)$">
<IfModule mod_version.c>
	<IfVersion < 2.4>
		Order Allow,Deny
		Allow from All
	</IfVersion>
	<IfVersion >= 2.4>
		Require all granted
	</IfVersion>
</IfModule>
<IfModule !mod_version.c>
	<IfModule !mod_authz_core.c>
		Order Allow,Deny
		Allow from All
	</IfModule>
	<IfModule mod_authz_core.c>
		Require all granted
	</IfModule>
</IfModule>
</Files>

Removing the “.” before php in <Files ~ “.(test.php|gif|ico|jpg|png|svg|js|css|htm|html|swf|mp3|mp4|wav|ogg|avi)$”> makes no difference.

Anybody knowledgeable about .htaccess files that can spot the issue here???

(Matthieu Aubry) #21

@bijoyparackal

Hi everyone, We had same issue after upgrading to 2.3.0. Our piwik instance is hosted on IIS 8.0 and we solved the issue by removing *.html extension from Request Filtering.

Thanks. I’ve made this change in Piwik core: IIS: web.config should allow to server HTM, HTML and SVG files. · Issue #5255 · matomo-org/matomo · GitHub