Errors, e.g. "Plugin 'VisitsSummary' is not activated."

Hello,

I had been having issues with Piwik for a while: various stats fail to show and instead there are a lot of error messages. I figured an update might help (my install was 1.2.something), so today I installed the latest version using this procedure. No hitches during the upgrade, but it hasn’t fixed the problem.

After I log in, the screen looks partly as it should, but:

(1) Under the time frame selection box there is the following error message:

WARN UserSettings[2014-07-08 13:42:46] [1f965] Failed to get data from API: Error: The report 'VisitsSummary_CoreMetrics' was requested but it is not available at this stage. (Plugin 'VisitsSummary' is not activated.)#0 /users/MyUserName/www/piwik/core/Archive.php(410): Piwik\Archive::getPluginForReport('nb_visits')#1 /users/MyUserName/www/piwik/core/Archive.php(531): Piwik\Archive->getRequestedPlugins(Array)#2 /users/MyUserName/www/piwik/core/Archive.php(497): Piwik\Archive->getArchiveIds(Array)#3 /users/MyUserName/www/piwik/core/Archive.php(341): Piwik\Archive->get('nb_visits', 'numeric')#4 /users/MyUserName/www/piwik/plugins/UserSettings/API.php(171): Piwik\Archive->getDataTableFromNumeric('nb_visits')#5 [internal function]: Piwik\Plugins\UserSettings\API->getPlugin('2', 'day', 'yesterday', false)#6 /users/MyUserName/www/piwik/core/API/Proxy.php(209): call_user_func_array(Array, Array)#7 /users/MyUserName/www/piwik/core/API/Request.php(215): Piwik\API\Proxy->call('\Piwik\Plugins\...', 'getPlugin', Array)#8 /users/MyUserName/www/piwik/core/ViewDataTable/Request.php(48): Piwik\API\Request->process()#9 /users/MyUserName/www/piwik/core/Plugin/ViewDataTable.php(287): Piwik\ViewDataTable\Request->loadDataTableFromAPI(Array)#10 /users/MyUserName/www/piwik/core/Plugin/Visualization.php(166): Piwik\Plugin\ViewDataTable->loadDataTableFromAPI(Array)#11 /users/MyUserName/www/piwik/core/Plugin/ViewDataTable.php(374): Piwik\Plugin\Visualization->buildView()#12 /users/MyUserName/www/piwik/core/Plugin/Controller.php(281): Piwik\Plugin\ViewDataTable->render()#13 /users/MyUserName/www/piwik/plugins/UserSettings/Controller.php(81): Piwik\Plugin\Controller->renderReport('getPlugin')#14 /users/MyUserName/www/piwik/plugins/UserSettings/Controller.php(22): Piwik\Plugins\UserSettings\Controller->getPlugin(true)#15 [internal function]: Piwik\Plugins\UserSettings\Controller->index()#16 /users/MyUserName/www/piwik/core/FrontController.php(507): call_user_func_array(Array, Array)#17 /users/MyUserName/www/piwik/core/FrontController.php(84): Piwik\FrontController->doDispatch(NULL, NULL, NULL)#18 /users/MyUserName/www/piwik/core/dispatch.php(34): Piwik\FrontController->dispatch()#19 /users/MyUserName/www/piwik/index.php(47): require_once('/users/MyUserName...')#20 {main}

(2) In the ‘Plugins’ box it says:

Error: The report 'VisitsSummary_CoreMetrics' was requested but it is not available at this stage. (Plugin 'VisitsSummary' is not activated.)

When, for instance, I change the period to the whole year, I get the above messages 8 times, once for every info box presumably?

I checked that the files for VisitsSummary are indeed on the server.

I don’t know where I might ‘activate’ the plugin. I tried the ‘Parameters’ menu option (at least it’s called paramètres in French… the link is http://My.Server.Address/piwik/index.php?module=CoreAdminHome) but that too leads to errors:

Fatal error: Class 'Piwik_Plugin' not found in /users/MyUserName/www/piwik/plugins/ExampleUI/ExampleUI.php on line 28
 Piwik # Web Analytics
The class ExampleUI couldn't be found in the file '/users/MyUserName/www/piwik/plugins/ExampleUI/ExampleUI.php'

I am afraid I don’t recall what first caused these issues to appear… they seem to have grown worse bit by bit? Sorry for being vague about that.

Can anyone explain, and/or indicate a solution?

If there is no way to fix it – can I somehow do a ‘clean install’ without losing my data (if they are still there)?

Thank you.