Email tracking

I’m trying to track how many times an email blast has been opened. What I have done so far is embedding an image tag in the HTML email:

However, the problem I’m having is that this is only recorded as a visit to the website without any details that it’s from the email blast. pk_campaign isn’t working in this context. I’m not sure if it needs JS.

What’s the best way to achieve this without the use of JS? Is there a certain parameter I can append to the URL so I can record a custom variable without using JS?

It’s good thinking but it does not work this way, see the tracking api reference at http://developer.piwik.org/api-reference/tracking-api

you can use those two:

Looks like surfi2000 confusing pk_campaign GET parameter that’s a JS tracker thing and APIs calls that are POST AJAX things.

If you put this GET parameter inside href links to pages that are hosting Piwik’s js tracker, it will log your parameters.

But directly APIs call doesn’t works like this, because you must craft entire the POST request and send by AJAX call.