Downgrade possibilities related failed database upgrade from 1.1.1 to 1.2.1

After manually upgrading to 1.2.1, I received (as expected) a screen prompting me to upgrade the database from 1.1.1 to 1.2.1. Attempting to do this via the browser timed out (and caused the server to grind to a halt due to too many open MySQL connections); doing it via the command line also didn’t work. Apparently, the version of Debian our server runs does not have phpmyadmin available for it. Instead of upgrading our VPS just for this, I would like to downgrade Piwik to 1.1.1 which was running fine.

I know in the forums I’ve read that just manually installing an old version works as a downgrade (with your own config file). I made an error in not keeping a copy of the old Piwik install. But I was wondering if perhaps the failed attempts to upgrade the database may make this impossible or difficult; also, is our lack of phpmyadmin going to make downgrading also impossible? Any ideas or help are appreciated.

You don’t need to upgrade your server to run phpmyadmin. Its just a webapplication to install, see http://www.phpmyadmin.net/ .

According to the contact at our hosting company we are still running Debian Etch, which has been supplanted by Lenny, and that there is no phpmyadmin source or .deb package for Debian Etch. Perhaps he is incorrect. But regardless of that, I am still curious about downgrading Piwik in general. It seems that others may be interested too—I would much appreciate hearing of any pitfalls or obstacles to downgrading.

Again, phpmyadmin is just a webapplication like piwik. There is no NEED for a deb package.

Trying to downgrade a fully or partially upgraded database will be really tricky as you need to undo all changes done which is not always possible anyway.
Best is simply to do a backup BEFORE doing the upgrade.

OK yes, understood. Thank you for the info and quick response.