Determining Vis Length on Bounces

I was recently reading that there was a way to get the visit length of a visitor bounced by calling a javascript function on an action such as “onClose” that updates the visit length in the database. Is there support for this with Piwik or a way for me to implement it?

Thanks

onClose is not widely supported. There’s an onUnload and onBeforeUnLoad but neither are triggered if the user closes the tab or window.

Currently, there are two proposals.

• a ping is sent once, ‘n’ milliseconds after the init page view is logged; a reasonable value might be 30 seconds
  • a heartbeat is basically a recurring ping, telling the server that the page is still open (though it may not necessarily have focus); a reasonable value might be 10 seconds

Either could be used to improve the bounce rate and visit length where only a single page is viewed during a visit. I have prototyped both on the client side (piwik.js), but haven’t made the necessary server-side changes yet.

Ok, it’s now a single API method on the client: setHeartBeatTimer(initialDelay, recurringDelay)

Awesome! Will I need to wait until next release to take advantage? Or is there a nightly build I can install? Is it required?

Thanks again!

Better to wait for the release. Trunk is in flux.

Is this active in 1.2? And would this be the correct way to implement?

try {
var piwikTracker = Piwik.getTracker(pkBaseURL + “piwik.php”, 2); piwikTracker.trackPageView();
piwikTracker.enableLinkTracking();
setHeartBeatTimer(‘5’,‘15’);
} catch( err ) {}

not active, it will be probably in 1.3

I have updated to v 1.3 but still have 0s visits on flash website. Is it any way in piwik 1.3 to switch on heartbeat if it’s not on by default ??

Not yet active, see Support Ping requests to report a better 'time on page' · Issue #2041 · matomo-org/matomo · GitHub