Date question

I have no access to the hosting server’s php.ini file. Piwik displays Dashboard with previous date’s stats instead of today’s date. Is there a workaround to force Piwik to automatically display results for today’s date? I know I can bring up the calendar and force Piwik to display the next day, i.e today’s date, but I am hoping there is way to do this without having to prompt Piwik.

called system administrator at hosting company. Mentioned that phpinfo reports timezone set to America/New York (hosting company is located on east coast of Canada though I reside on west coast). MySQL system variable reports timezone as ‘System’. Ticket issued. Even though I have no access to mysql admin nor php.ini, the hosting company is going to change the mysql timezone to match the php.ini setting, namely America/New York. This should resolve the issue of having Dashboard report yesterday’s stats instead of today’s. If this doesn’t resolve the issue, then I will repost (add another comment) and some more knowledgeable than myself can offer advice.

I thank the forum administrators/moderators in advance for their kind and helpful info.

Timezones will be configurable in the next Piwik release (0.6).

That is good because the hosting company backtracked, now say they cannot change mysql settings because it would affect many other clients who require the timezone to be set to ‘System’, which does not match the php.ini setting of ‘American/New York’. It is not a big deal since I can bring up the calendar and request the next day’s, i.e. the curent day’s, stats.

If my site is successful, meaning the traffic warrants it, I will be moving to a dedicated server, with more flexibility in configuring my software. Also the streaming costs will force me to do that, to say nothing of acquiring PCI certification which is not allowed for a shared server. When using Canada’s credit card authorization gateways such as Moneris (the largest) or TD Canada Trust, the only option with no PCI certification is the hosted pay page, meaning customers are forced to leave the website. This plays havoc on session variables, in particular shopping cart variables. API programming methods are not allowed for non-PCI sites, meaning any site on a shared server. I did program a workaround for this hosted paypage departure, and it works (I program other sites, not my own). However this info is probably not of interest to the Piwik forum readers, and I just throw it in to enlarge the scenario, providing some info regarding shared vs dedicated servers. The cost in Canada ,approximately $50/month for top tier shared server and $300/month for dedicated server hosting charges, but with a streaming media site, the much larger monthly data allowance (292 gig vs 1200gig) and the cost for overage ($1 per gigabyte) makes the dedicated server an attractive option providing the traffic warrants it. With a 27% cost ratio at extreme usage, I have figured out how to ‘win’. Of course one needs to have a unique, compelling website of interest. The challenge is in creating, being original, not being technologically brilliant. Anyone today can master tech skills, but not everyone, in fact few do ,have original creative ideas that translate to a ‘better mousetrap’ or a new gizmo.

Thank you Piwik…

Piwik displays Dashboard with previous date’s stats instead of today’s date. Is there a workaround to force Piwik to automatically display results for today’s date?

see:

http://piwik.org/faq/how-to/#faq_72

Thank you very much Karlsson! I did what you suggested (FAQ #72) and indeed Piwik is now showing stats for the current date. I apologize, as I should have read the FAQ’s more carefully. Lesson noted and learned.

This is one fantastic program! Kudos to the chefs…

Regards / jfb

I apologize, as I should have read the FAQ’s more carefully

Yepp, but you can´t read everything. The secret is to use the search in the right way.