Countries being incorrectly reported

just checking where traffic sources are coming from and there seems to be a problem:
I have visitor IP’s being reported from wrong countries. So for todays data I have some examples.

IP             |  reported country       |  actual country
194.42.38.196     UK                        CY
92.28.103.59      US                        UK
82.114.94.200     US                        CS or YU

I checked against two IP lookup sources (maxmind latest and one other)

Methinks wherever piwik is getting its IP lookup from may be well out of date.

http://piwik.org/faq/troubleshooting/#faq_65

We’ll make it easier/better in http://dev.piwik.org/trac/ticket/1823

maybe I’m misinterpreting the Visitor Log. The flag (under visitor column) seems to be indicating the service provider country and not the visitor IP country.
But one of the examples

92.28.103.59 US Uk

is reported as US on flag in visitor report but service provider is OPAL in manchester UK so that doesn’t look right.
The site the visit came from is french with a .fr tld and the site IP is a french IP and user IP is UK IP.

So I still can’t make any sense of it.

OK thanks for the update.

I’ve been using the free maxmind file for personal use and have been happy with it.

Any idea when the this will be implemented.

vipsoft - when do you expect to have a release of Piwik implementing GeoIP to its core?

I’m having the very same problems with countries. Even after successful installation of GeoIP, Ireland (Republic of Ireland) is constantly shown as United Kingdom. Is the above mentioned release the only solution to the problem?

Best

Update: Actually, GeoIP does detect Ireland correctly. I’ve overlooked the widget “GeoIP / Visitor countries”. However, the default “Visitor countries (world map)” is not affected by GeoIP, and there’s no trace of Ireland. Is that a normal behaviour which will be fixed when GeoIP is build to the core of Piwik?

Yes. It’ll be addressed when GeoIp is in core. (Currently, the core widgets don’t reference the geolocation fields set by the geoIP plugin.)

Simple solution: use GeoIP / Visitor countries.

Good news: GeoIP is now integrated in Piwik, enabling Accurate Visitors Geolocation in your Analytics reports. To enable GeoIP go to the Settings > Geolocation admin page, and follow the short instructions.

You can also get an even more accurate Country & City Database from here to enjoy top accuracy in detecting your visitors locations.

See also the documentation about Geolocation - Analytics Reports in Piwik.