Conversions wrongly attributed to paypal

I have a piwik installation with the tracking code and conversion code in place. The tracking is working well, and the conversions are working well for non paypal transactions. My issue is that any transaction that is completed with paypal is attributed to paypal and not to the original referer. I am using Analytics in parallel and that conversion code is working fine with paypal.

Does anyone have suggestions on what might be the cause of this?

can you try calling the JS function:

setConversionAttributionFirstReferrer( false )

and then does if fix it?

We’re facing the same issue here, with the original referrer not being attributed.

However, in our case, we set setConversionAttributionFirstReferrer to true.

Would appreciate any assistance on resolving this issue.

Can you reproduce the error at all times, or is it random?

It isn’t random and is reproducible.

Is there any criteria for a referrer being picked over the other? Referrers being Direct Entry, Google Keywords and Campaigns.

Campaigns prevail over Keyword data over Direct. does it help?

Could you explain exactly how to reproduce the problem and I will try

Thanks for the clarification, Matt, it did help. :slight_smile:

About reproducing the problem, we have the following scenario:

• A new unique visitor is first converted via a Campaign
  • Follow-up visits from the now returning visitor are from multiple referrers
  • When they place an Ecommerce order, the current referrer is used and not the the first referrer (in this case, Campaign) from the first visit

However, going through the tracking code, I wonder, does setConversionAttributionFirstReferrer need to be set before the Ecommerce order is tracked? At the moment, it is called after trackEcommerceOrder and before trackPageView.

However, going through the tracking code, I wonder, does setConversionAttributionFirstReferrer need to be set before the Ecommerce order is tracked? At the moment, it is called after trackEcommerceOrder and before trackPageView.

Absolutely setConversionAttributionFirstReferrer must be called first before other calls

Ah!

I’ve updated our tracking code to call setConversionAttributionFirstReferrer before the Ecommerce call.

Regarding the previous Ecommerce orders that have already been tracked, would it be possible to have them retroactively reprocessed for their first referrer?

we could write a script for that, but it’s not done yet.

Good news, we have released a new feature for Marketing Channels Attribution Reporting. You can learn more about it here: https://piwik.org/docs/multi-channel-conversion-attribution/

Multi Channel Conversion Attribution, also known as Cross Channel Attribution, lets you assign a value to each visit prior to a conversion or prior to a sale. By default, Piwik lets you only know the referrer of the last non-direct visit when a conversion happens. However, in reality, multiple channels contribute to a conversion as a visitor often visits a website several times before they convert a goal. By applying different attribution models, you get a better view on which channels actually lead to a conversion. This helps you finding out where to spend your money best when acquiring visitors.

The premium plugin can be purchased here: http://plugins.piwik.org/MultiChannelConversionAttribution

Have a wonderful end of year,