Cannot install on Windows

Hello,
I wish to test Piwik by installing it on a XP machine (installed XAMPP), but cannot complete the setup wizard.
After solving a first problem commeting out a line in piwik.php (see forum.piwik.org/index.php?showtopic=1324)) I can get to the db creation step, but there I alwasy get “Error while trying to connect to the database server:
No entry is registered for key ‘db’”.

No “config.ini.php” file is created in my config folder, even if I set “everyone full control” permissions on that folder - so I assume it’s not a problem with permissions.
I give root user (and correct password style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/wink.gif) to connect to mysql on the same machine.
What else to check?
Else, can anybody provide a manual installation checklist, so to skip the wizard and finally have Piwik running?

Thanks for any help,
al.

In xampp, the default password is blank. You’ll probably also have to use 127.0.0.1 instead of localhost.

vipsoft,
password I use is correct (updated it, and I can connect mysql with a gui client) and I’m already using the ip. I actually got an exception when using localhost, but with the ip the error is handled… just don’t know what it means style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/wink.gif
thanks anyway, will keep trying!
al.

Maybe it couldn’t retrieve the session info. In php.ini or .htaccess, set the session.save_path to a writable folder.

vipsoft,
I checked this, but unfortunately that’s already ok (I can see session files are created in temp directory).
Something more: I tried installing piwik on two different machines, an XP with IIS and a Win 2003 server with Xampp, but always get the same result. Also tried both mysqli and pdo connectors.
If I set “localhost” instead of 127.0.0.1 I get this exception:

PDO::__construct(): [2002] A connection attempt failed because the connected party did not (trying to connect via tcp://localhost:3306)
in ‘C:\Inetpub\wwwroot\piwik\libs\Zend\Db\Adapter\Pdo\Abstract.php’ at the line 129

But you already told me to use the ip.
Is it possible to perform a manual install, create the db and whatever is needed, bypassing the setup wizard? Or to enable some debug option in order to understand exactly where’s the problem?

Thanks again,
al.