Cannot install - ERR_TOO_MANY_REDIRECTS

First time ever using Piwik (only discovered it yesterday) so it’s very likely “pilot error”, but I’ve tried numerous times following the instructions. All I manage to do is the “Start the Installation” section. I have uploaded the files 2 ways with the same error result. Upload the ZIP file and extract in cPanel, and upload all 7000+ files via Filezilla. I uploaded the files into a directory at Piwik 3.0.4 › Installation.

So, now I type that URL into the browser and get:

This page isn’t working

www.citruskiwi.com redirected you too many times.
Try clearing your cookies.
ERR_TOO_MANY_REDIRECTS

Reload (button)

The console just has: Failed to load resource: net::ERR_TOO_MANY_REDIRECTS

Hi, piwik shouldn’t create redirects normally.
Can you check if there is maybe somethibg wrong with the webconfig? (e.g an mistake in an htaccess}

I have a lot of entries in the .htaccess so I opted to install on another site I have (my development domain). Yes, it was something in that file as the install started immediately on the new domina (Sign in - Piwik). However, on the System Check page I’ve stalled again. Under Required PHP Configuration I have a red error icon next to always_populate_raw_post_data=-1 . I added that to the php.ini in the root of ckdev.info. Restarted apache and still the error persists.

Hi,

Can you check if you added it to the right php config?

Maybe try temporarily adding a file like this

<?php phpinfo(); ?>

,òpen the url in a browser and check if always_populate_raw_post_data is really disabled

Yes it is.

I think there is a misunderstanding.
To avoid the issues piwik will run into you’ll need to set always_populate_raw_post_data to -1 instead of 0 which is the default value.

I know that this is confusing and I am really looking forward to the day when everyone is using php7 and this annoying php bug is finally history.

Ahh OK. I did add the -1 value in the line so not sure why it isn’t being picked up. After some help from my host I got it changed correctly and the installation got through to the end. Thanks for all your help.

I really want to change to PHP7 too, but I’m not sure if every extension I use is PHP7 ready. Hate to go crashing a bunch of sites.

Glad I could help

Does your host support using different php versions for different websites? That way you could use php7 for the sites that definitely support it (e.g. piwik) and slowly migrate the old sites one by one.