Bounce Rate Issue

Hi,

I have a serious problem regarding the Bounce Rate for our site, I have never seen anything like this before. I just recently took over the management and usually work with Google Analytics. When I analyzed the Bounce Rate I was sure that the reason for all this would have to be a Server Issue, but anything likely or related to server problems was excluded, pageload times also confirm this.

As you can see in the attached screenshot, what happens is that the Bounce rate stays low for a long period, then goes up for an even longer period and comes down again. There is no logical explanation for this, can anyone help me out or has experienced something similar?

Thanks,
Benjamin

an idea: those days that you have a very low bounce rate, maybe it is because some script on the page creates two pageviews, and so all visitors do not bounce?

Thanks for the hint Matt. Can you please tell me how I can check if the script really creates two pageviews?

Thanks in advance,
Ben

Hi
BTW. it is my website, we are here talking about.
Easy way to find out if the script really creates two pageviews:
Look at the html-source code of any site page and search for piwik. In Firefox this is done by ctrl-U.
In our case: yes, Piwik-code is on the page twice due to double install: once by manually adding the piwik code and one by adding a piwik-extension for magento.

But: that did not lead to a low bounce rate. Although every mouse click showed up in Piwik twice it was not counted as two page views per visitor.
See attached screenshot. So piwik told me for today a 78% bounce rate although all visits and pageviews where counted double.

I now have uninstalled the piwik extension for magento and only work with the manual added piwik code and will see how the stats will develope.

regards
Res

this is the screen shot, as I was not able to attach it:
http://www.online-hundeschule.ch/media/screenshot.png

those days that you have a very low bounce rate, maybe it is because some script on the page creates two pageviews, and so all visitors do not bounce?

No, my correction on that did not change anything at the high bounce rate of 70%.

Any other idea?

In the bottom of your screenshot I can see the same visitor that had two actions at the same second, but they were tracked each in a visit. Do you know why there are two pageviews/actions triggered at the same second for this visitor?

As you can see, this is not only at the bottom, but with every single mouse click of a visitor created 2 entries in Piwik.
I had explained the reason in 301 Moved Permanently above.

In our case: yes, Piwik-code is on the page twice due to double install: once by manually adding the piwik code and one by adding a piwik-extension for magento.

Don’t put code twice as this creates the high bounce rate problem.

Hi Matt,
Do you read the messages or just react on some single words?