Best ways to monitor & catch tracking/traffic problems?

We’ve had a couple of incidents lately where something went wrong in our tracking process and we didn’t notice the drop in traffic until we’d already lost days or weeks of data. We’re revising our monitoring process to make sure this doesn’t happen again, and part of that is to see if there’s a way to track/monitor “tracking failures” better. Maybe there are some Matomo features/configuration that could help? Any articles on monitoring things and catching problems?

I’d also like to know, more specifically, if there’s any way to get some kind of notification if any of these things happen:

• Tracking info is sent to a site ID that does exist in Matomo. The site configured to only accept tracking info from a list of domains. This request came from a domain not on that list, so it was ignored.
  • A site starts getting an unusually low number of views. ex. site normally gets 200+ views a day, then one day it gets 0 views.

Thanks for any suggestions!

Hi,

You can set this up using the CustomAlerts plugin: https://plugins.matomo.org/CustomAlerts

In theory this feature already exists and Matomo sends notifications if tracking requests are sent to the wrong site ID. I am just not sure if this only works if the wrong siteID is one that does not exist.

Wow, the Custom Alerts plugin looks like exactly what we need, thanks so much for suggesting it!

In theory this feature already exists and Matomo sends notifications if tracking requests are sent to the wrong site ID. I am just not sure if this only works if the wrong siteID is one that does not exist.

Hm, we had some tracking going to the wrong site ID (one that did exist but the URL didn’t match) for a few weeks and it never popped up in tracking errors. Now that I’m thinking about it, this could have been due to having the “ignore tracking requests from other URLs” setting turned on. From what I saw in the code, it seemed like that setting could stop things pretty early. Kinda wish that showed up as a tracking error too?

Thanks again for your suggestions and other insights. Always super helpful! (You showed me the “replay tracking” feature a little while ago; even though it didn’t help in that situation, it gave us another “backup” route which did come in handy a bit later!)