After update 4.8: A fatal error occurred

I used the update automatically link and got the following error message

A fatal error occurred
The following error just broke Matomo (v4.8.0):

An exception has been thrown during the rendering of a template (“File ../../CoreHome/vue/src/MenuDropdown/MenuDropdown.less not found. in anonymous-file-0.less”).
in C:\matomo\plugins\CoreUpdater\templates\runUpdaterAndExit_welcome.twig line 8
Troubleshooting
Follow these steps to solve the issue or report it to the team:
If you have just updated Matomo to the latest version, please try to restart your web server. This will clear the PHP opcache which may solve the problem.
If this is the first time you see this error, please try refresh the page.
If this error continues to happen, we appreciate if you send the error report to the Matomo team.
Further troubleshooting
If this error continues to happen, you may be able to fix this issue by disabling one or more of the Third-Party plugins. If you don’t know which plugin is causing this error, we recommend to first disable any plugin not created by “Matomo” and not created by “InnoCraft”. You can enable plugin again afterwards in the Plugins or Themes page under settings at any time.

If this error still occurs after disabling all plugins, you might want to consider uninstalling some plugins. Keep in mind: The plugin will be completely removed from your platform.

CustomVariables uninstall
Provider uninstall

How to fix the issue?

how did you update?
can you check if all files of the latest version are deployed on your server?
can you also check the files are accessible from PHP/Apache user?

matomo_update
I used update button in matomo website to do online update.

I used the same feature to update matomo for several times before, and it is the first time with failure result.

I found the whole MenuDropdown folder which under CoreHome/vue/src/ was missing.

After I extracted the matomo.zip and copied the whole MenuDropdown folder back to my matomo website, the update process is completed.

1 Like