addEcommerceItem not added to subsequent order

Hi there, I have some JavaScript code that is looping through an order and calling the addEcommerceItem method. Having run through three times it is calling the trackEcommerceOrder method however in subsequent call I am not seeing all of the items in the order. Worse still, the items are getting added to the next order whose items are cascading again into follow orders.

Is there something to bind items to orders as in Google Analytics where the order number is used to group items? Is this a bug in the tracker code?

Edit:
I’ve amended the code this morning to switch from using a tracker object to just pushing the requests onto the _paq object and I am seeing the same behaviour, my code has pushed three items and then an order but in the data sent to the piwik server there are only two of the items. Placing a second order for one item sends data containing the first two items plus the third item:

First order:
ec_items:[["item3id","item3","item3cat",3,1],["item1id","item1","item1cat",1,1]]

Second order:

ec_items:[["item3id","item3","item3cat",3,1],["item1id","item1","item1cat",1,1],["item4id","item4","item4cat",0.5,1]]

This seems to be thoroughly broken.

Edit

OK, I have tracked down the problem - the items added are keyed on the product SKU which means that if you add two items with the same SKU then the second overwrites the first. This means that we are obliged to first count all of the items and add them with a single entry and updated count. In my view this is poor design. The API should say that these need to be unique for the order - in our case items of a specific type can have variable pricing and we are accumulating them from different lists making the interface cumbersome and dependent on a preprocessing step to build the entries.

I would recommend replacing the code that keys on sku with an array of entries that records all items added rather than silently replacing earlier added items. As a minimum I would suggest that you at least generate some console output when you overwrite an earlier entry.

Edit

The explanation for seeing the items on subsequent orders is simple enough - the ecommerceItems object is never cleared down after the order is placed - I find it hard to see how this was missed in even rudimentary testing.

I’ve implemented a fix in my code and I’m not clear how you fold in changes from the community, maybe someone could let me know. Here are the changes:

diff --git a/js/piwik.js b/js/piwik.js
index bed97aa..c2a5ef8 100644
--- a/js/piwik.js
+++ b/js/piwik.js
@@ -2882,7 +2882,7 @@ if (typeof window.Piwik !== 'object') {
                 customVariableMaximumLength = 200,

// Ecommerce items
-                ecommerceItems = {},
+                ecommerceItems = [],

// Browser features via client-side data collection
                 browserFeatures = {},
@@ -3996,36 +3996,19 @@ if (typeof window.Piwik !== 'object') {
                     request += '&ec_dt=' + discount;
                 }

-                if (ecommerceItems) {
-                    // Removing the SKU index in the array before JSON encoding
-                    for (sku in ecommerceItems) {
-                        if (Object.prototype.hasOwnProperty.call(ecommerceItems, sku)) {
-                            // Ensure name and category default to healthy value
-                            if (!isDefined(ecommerceItems[sku][1])) {
-                                ecommerceItems[sku][1] = "";
+                if (ecommerceItems.length) {
+                    ecommerceItems.forEach(function(ecommerceItem) {
+                        // Ensure healthy default values where undefined
+                        [undefined, "", "", 0, 1].forEach(function(sDefault, nIndex) {
+                            if (sDefault !== undefined && ecommerceItem[nIndex] === undefined) {
+                                ecommerceItem[nIndex] = sDefault;
                             }
-
-                            if (!isDefined(ecommerceItems[sku][2])) {
-                                ecommerceItems[sku][2] = "";
-                            }
-
-                            // Set price to zero
-                            if (!isDefined(ecommerceItems[sku][3])
-                                    || String(ecommerceItems[sku][3]).length === 0) {
-                                ecommerceItems[sku][3] = 0;
-
-                            // Set quantity to 1
-                            if (!isDefined(ecommerceItems[sku][4])
-                                    || String(ecommerceItems[sku][4]).length === 0) {
-                                ecommerceItems[sku][4] = 1;
-
-                            items.push(ecommerceItems[sku]);
-                        }
-                    }
-                    request += '&ec_items=' + encodeWrapper(JSON2.stringify(items));
+                        });
+                    });
+                    request += '&ec_items=' + encodeWrapper(JSON2.stringify(ecommerceItems));
                 }
+                // Clear down items after logging
+                ecommerceItems = [];
                 request = getRequest(request, configCustomData, 'ecommerce', lastEcommerceOrderTs);
                 sendRequest(request, configTrackerPause);
             }
@@ -6329,7 +6312,7 @@ if (typeof window.Piwik !== 'object') {
                  */
                 addEcommerceItem: function (sku, name, category, price, quantity) {
                     if (sku.length) {
-                        ecommerceItems[sku] = [ sku, name, category, price, quantity ];
+                        ecommerceItems.push([ sku, name, category, price, quantity ]);
                     }
                 },

Sure, this would be possible! Could you create a ticket with your suggestion in our tracker? https://github.com/piwik/piwik/issues Of course, a pull request would be welcome, if you manage to :slight_smile:

Sure, we try to explain the process here: http://developer.piwik.org/guides/contributing-to-piwik-core - we look forward to your issue and/or PR :+1: