A few questions & problems

Hi and at first thank you for this great programm!

I’m using piwik since a couple of weeks and now some problems / questions have been occured and I hope that you can help, please?!

1. I read in the FAQ that piwik does not monitor any bots (due to this javascript issue). Is it planned to enhance piwik by a “PHP function” to enable logging of users without JS enabled?

This would be really great, because currently there is a really big difference between piwik AWstats and chcounter (awstats and chcounter shows approx. 1600 visitors per day - piwik tells be approx. 950). I’m quite sure that there are some bots, but not soooo many…

I understood the approach of piwik (after reading the FAQ :slight_smile: but it would be nice and helpfull to be able to track these bots/visitors too.

1. is there any possibility to see who’s currently online and which pages are shown by these user(s) in realtime (e.g. any kind of user tracking or monitoring)

2. I tried to bring the piwik generated code into the header of my site to track as many a possible (even the broken loaded pages). But unfortunately there is an small “tracking”-image created by piwik. Is there any way (or where can I find this) to set this to style=“display:none”

Thanks for your help!
Lars

1. No plans to implement this in the Piwik core. I don’t know about chcounter, but awstats analyzes the web server’s log files.

Piwik only tracks clients that either execute the tracking code or fetch the web bug (the transparent 1x1 pixel image).

Ignoring browsers with adblockers for the moment…

Logically, to differentiate bots from live visitors, one would have to parse the log files (like awstats does) and then subtract the traffic recorded by Piwik. Hypothetically, the remainder is the bot traffic.

1. Live Visitors plugin is in development. See http://dev.piwk.org/trac/ticket/44

2. For now, Piwik requires that piwik.js be loaded in the body, preferably before the tag, at a point where the document has loaded and the DOM has presumably been constructed. This is required so that the tracking code can attach its listeners (e.g., to track downloads and outlinks).