A couple of questions

Hi there! I really like Piwik and you guys have done a great job! :slight_smile:
Please take just 1 minute for the following questions. It might help a lot of other people too.

So I want to install the GeoIP plugin and I am using Dreamhost shared hosting so I can’t install the Apache mod_geoip module. I am following this guide. Plugin using GeoIP to accurately detect visitor countries, cities, and continent · Issue #5465 · matomo-org/matomo · GitHub
Is it a must for GeoIP plugin to work fine? I have only a small site under Piwik, about 100 visits daily.
What are the real advantages over having the Apache module installed and running?
If I change the config/global.ini.php to not detect users from keyboard layout, would it interfere with GeoIP? I actually changed this but it is still detecting users from European countries as from USA( based on the keyboard layout). What do I need to do for Piwik to start tracking users based on their real country? GeoIP is running but without the Apache module. This tracking problem occurs on the “Latest visitors” widget and in the GeoIP it seems all right, even though it doesn’t show most cities.

Thanks a lot! Grea job until now!

Bump. Someone care to reply?

The apache module doesn’t seem to be a requirement.

It seems reasonable to think that the enable_language_to_country_guess configuration option is not used when the GeoIP plugin is activated.

Did you apply all the steps in Plugin using GeoIP to accurately detect visitor countries, cities, and continent · Issue #5465 · matomo-org/matomo · GitHub ? Did you apply the country detection to previous reports using the mentioned method ?

Also note that the GeoIP plugin will be included in core.

I can’t install the Apache mod_geoip module. Is it a must for GeoIP plugin to work fine?

No, the apache mod_geoip is ONLY better performance wise. It does not matter on a small traffic website.

[quote=JulienM]
The apache module doesn’t seem to be a requirement.

It seems reasonable to think that the enable_language_to_country_guess configuration option is not used when the GeoIP plugin is activated.

Did you apply all the steps in Plugin using GeoIP to accurately detect visitor countries, cities, and continent · Issue #5465 · matomo-org/matomo · GitHub ? Did you apply the country detection to previous reports using the mentioned method ?

Also note that the GeoIP plugin will be included in core.[/quote]

Hello JulienM!
Yes, I applied the steps in the Plugin using GeoIP to accurately detect visitor countries, cities, and continent · Issue #5465 · matomo-org/matomo · GitHub but the apache module because I installed Piwik on shared hosting.
Apparently, the visits are still tracked based on the keyboard layout even thought I changed the enable_language_to_country_guess configuration. I am talking about the visits after I applied this configuration ( just replaced the 1 with 0 and replaced the original file) I also applied GeoIP precise localization on the past data.

It’s frustrating because Piwik is tracking the visits based on the keyboard layout and not in IP! On the locations and provider tab it seems all right though, because it is based on GeoIP.

I’m not sure I understand clearly the issue at hand.

When you say

On the locations and provider tab it seems all right though, because it is based on GeoIP. 

It implies that somewhere the geolocalisation is not right, could you specify where and provide screen shots comparing where it is working and where it is not ?

[quote=JulienM]
I’m not sure I understand clearly the issue at hand.

When you say

On the locations and provider tab it seems all right though, because it is based on GeoIP. 

It implies that somewhere the geolocalisation is not right, could you specify where and provide screen shots comparing where it is working and where it is not ?[/quote]
On the Visitors in Real Time widget, the reports are wrong and based on keyboard layout apparently. Here is proof.
The IPs are from other country(Albania, all of those in pic) but they show as from USA. Weird. I changed the config to not detect the users on keyboard layout! Do I need to do anything else?

Le bump

Hi, I’m new to Piwik and would love some tips on the most efficient ways to use it? I’m not THAT computer savvy, so not too much technical jargon please :S

Daisy x

Good news: GeoIP is now integrated in Piwik, enabling Accurate Visitors Geolocation in your Analytics reports. To enable GeoIP go to the Settings > Geolocation admin page, and follow the short instructions.

You can also get an even more accurate Country & City Database from here to enjoy top accuracy in detecting your visitors locations.

See also the documentation about Geolocation - Analytics Reports in Piwik.